Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Meeting Mom


I posted this originally last nite on Black Woman Lost & Found, NaturallyAlise's poetry blog. She hosts a Blog Poetry Slam on Tuesdays (well, Wednesday this week). Her topic this week was "Dreams," and it unlocked some deep stuff for me. I'm semi happy with the poem. I may take another shot at it and refine it a little. I don't usually write and transcribe when I post to the Slam... I just pull up the comment box and go. Anyhoo..... here it is. I think I may have peeled away the first layer of the dam blocking my poejo flow! *poetry mojo... hey Maxine!*
Let me know what you think...

Slumber summons, and I respond.
I take my nightly pilgrimage to the Land of Nod.
Never knowing who I might meet, but always hoping you'll come to me.

Somewhere in that space between Heaven and Earth,
I long for the womb that gave me birth.
Disappointmens, missed appointments and fruitless search.

Night after night, I pray,
to feel Mamma's hands
on my face.

When there are things on my heart no one will understand but you.
When I need to hear grounding words of truth.
When I need the comfort only a mother's touch can hold.
When my hopes wane, and the world seems cold.

So often waking to face another day of your absence,
and the pain gets so old,
but never lessens.

But the rare encounters in the Land of Dreams
make the pilgrimage worth the journey.
We laugh, and cry, and love
and talk it all out over coffee.

And when the parting comes, I wake with tears on my face.
I know I'll try again,
to find you, to see you, to be your child
in the space between Earth and Heaven.



ugh...soooo sappy... Just read The Lovely Bones n been missing my Mom... oh well, it is what it is.

June 3, 2009 1:25 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin