Sunday, September 13, 2009

Acceptance


Acceptance is all that I ask,
and the best gift I have to give.

It is the air that I breathe
and food to my spirit,
the freedom to be who I am,
the liberty to live
without pretending.

I have come too far,
and lived too long,
and I am too tired
to play make believe,
for anyone.

I don't have the reserves any more.

Don't ask me
to put on a costume,
don a mask,
act in a play
just to provide you a comfort zone.

If who I am makes you uncomfortable,
I apologize,
but I will not change.
I will not lie.
I will not make believe.

This is who I am.
Accept me,
and I will give you acceptance
in kind.

I will love you
for your flaws.
I will find humor
in your quirks,
and humility
in your triumphs.

When you are weak,
I will help you to stand.
When you are silent,
I will listen to what you leave unsaid.
When you are pensive,
I will respect your mind.

And I promise...

I will not force you
to play a role,
pretend a life,
invent a persona
more palatable to me.

I will accept you for who you are,
by loving you as who I am.
For this, my best gift,
Acceptance is all I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin