Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Slam of Sorts....


So, Ms. Alise has been on a little web detox of sorts... sometimes you just gotta step back a pace or two and take a beat....

But I really have missed her Poetry Slams on Tuesdays the last two weeks, so in a similar spirit I would like to open up the Attic and invite anyone who drops by to leave a line or two. I'm gonna work it like Alise does and throw out a topic.... sort of... and let y'all run with it. Long, short, poetry, haiku, prose... whatever you feel.

Only instead of coming up with a topic, I'm gonna direct your attention to the music player down near the bottom of the sidebar. Pick a song, song title, artist or lyric from the widget and take off with that. There's some good shyt in that widget, too. Some of the artists you probably know, others you may just be discovering... and yes, it's a growing and changing list in there, so at the end of your contribution, please leave the artist name and title of the track you used for inspiration.

Now, I know this blog doesn't have the readership of Black Woman Lost & Found, but there's a couple of y'all lurkin' out there.... Susanne...April....Karen....Quest... I sees ya! Even if you think you're "not a poet" join in! Hell, I'm no poet either!! I'm a nurse and a mommy, but that hasn't stopped me from puttin' it out there!

Ok..... so I'll start.... my chosen track... "Inna Light" by Writtenhouse.

I see the dark look on your face,
the clouds across your countenance.
And I wonder where have you misplaced
your joy?

I remember when you lit up the place.
When nothing could bring you down.
Why the fall from grace,
and when?

Rekindle that fire in the grate.
Stir the embers again.
There's really no reason to wait,
is there?

You can keep the darkness at bay.
You can find yourself once more.
You can have the light of day,
look within.

Like night coming in the middle of day,
a total eclipse of the sun,
Everyone feels that pain
at times....

And I don't know what more I can say,
to one who was once so bright;
you have to look each day,
just to find some light.

Look within.

Now, as Alise would say, it's your turn....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin