Monday, July 6, 2009

The Moral High Ground


If I wanna do wrong, I could do so wrong.
It wouldn't be hard or take much effort to go astray.
Just a decision and some time on the phone...
a few minutes and ambiguous words
in the right ear.

If I wanna be wrong, I could go so wrong.
I could find someone to help me in my wanderings.
A partner in crime isn't all that hard to come by...
someone willing and able to fill the bill
and drive the getaway car.


if I wanna I could

Do I wanna go wrong?
Wander down a path of bad choices and easy trouble?
Sometimes it looks like fun
like it could be an adventure.
I could take a journey to the rowdy side of town.

Would my conscience desert me?
Would my spirit continue to abide peacefully
if I gave in to the temptation to give in to temptation?
Would the day trip down shakedown street be worth getting lost?
When the greater journey is abandoned and my progress is thwarted?

If I wanna go wrong, don't get me wrong, I can.
Any time, any place, any way.
It's so much harder to stay on the road that takes me where I really wanna go.
I don't wanna go wrong, see, I been there before.
And getting back is much rougher than the neighborhood.

Wrong is where people desert you and leave you for dead.
The people who encouraged you to come for the ride...
your get away driver and partners in crime,
they're the ones who can't get away fast enough when going wrong gets wrong.
And it's so hard to find your way back from wrong, because the road twists and winds
back on itself
snakey
shifty
shiftless
to a dead end.

But still...

If I wanna go wrong, I could!

Don't think I sit here being good because I lack an alternative.
Don't delude yourself with the illusion of my saintliness.
Don't for one minute believe that I have no choice but to be good.
Don't forget that I have options.
Don't dismiss the fact that I've been there before,
and I know my way around.

My choices keep me in the right.
I choose not to pick up that phone
I decide to kill the other options,
to rule them out like no parking zones.
I opt out of the day trip down shakedown street.
I pursue the high moral ground.

But still...

Don't take my good sense and self-preserving instincts for granted.

Because If I Wanna Go Wrong, I Could!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin