Friday, April 2, 2010

April is National Poetry Month.... but...


How ya doin? April is National Poetry Month.  I love poetry.  Obviously.  But I'm not posting a poem today.
Some friends and fellow poets are planning to celebrate NPM by writing a poem everyday.  I would love to say that I am going to do that, but I don't want to commit to something I know I can't produce.  Because that would be lying, and I don't wanna do that.  I'm not even gonna say I'm gonna post everyday... same reason.


I have never been able to "force" myself to write.  I do try to discipline myself to write.  One reason I love sonnets and haiku.... rules.  Yeah, that's right... some poetry has rules, standards.  Free verse is awesome and organic and powerful in that it finds its form in the flow somehow magically, naturally, seemingly of its own volition.  But when I get blocked, or when life takes me out of "poetic thinking" into reality and stress for too long, the more disciplined forms of poetry help me get going again.  I sometimes make up my own rules for the form and structure of a poem, and adhere to them in order to get my brain to shift from practical to creative.


Don't get me wrong, I feel like all of my better poetry is free verse.  But there is room in this world for all kinds of poetic expression.  I'd love to hear what you think about poetry in all of its wonderful, diverse glory!





P.S. Get the symbolism of the image I chose?  The structure of the mountains in the background transitioning into the free flowing green of the grass in the foreground..... yeah, I thought I was pretty clever, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin